thanks. I did read all of that in Leonetti's book and internet. EXCEPT for the part about Bruno making Stanfa as a favor to Gambino. That part, I did not know. And knowing that, now makes me understand how Stanfa came to run Philly.

Ligambi has been made since 1986; being convicted/overturned for the Flowers hit. Does he have any pull/support in NYC? even more so, Does Philly need the approval of NYC at this point? Based on the charges, Philly is playing safe, gambling/sharking ops. With the exception of a few who are involved in drugs.

I am really curious as to how Joey Merlino is viewed by NYC? He's proven that he can do time; at least on racketeering. 12 years in Fed is no stroll. But, when all is said and done, are they gonna want him back in Philly? Do they have a say in it?

Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
Stanfa was backed by the Gambino's. He was very close to the sicilian faction of the Gambino's. Leonetti said it was Gotti that pulled the plug on Scarfo being the boss and as a favor to the sicilian faction of his family backed Stanfa.

Stanfa was extremely close to the Cherry Hill Gambino's. They're the ones who protected him after the Bruno hit. He was hiding in Maryland and working at one of their pizza shops until the cops finally caught up to him. The Gambino's were also the ones that got Stanfa a pass for any possible involvement in the Bruno murder.

According to Leonetti ..Stanfa was almost hit in NY the same day Caponigro and Simone were. Stanfa was waiting for them to return to the bar he was at in NYC. When Chins guys went to get him they didn't know who he was, one of them thought he was Scarfo so they told Chin it was Nicky but Chin knew it wasn't because he knew where nicky was so when the guys went back to get Stanfa he was already gone. I think Frank Sindone was with Stanfa in NY too.

After Stanfa completed his sentence Gotti asked Scarfo if it was ok for Stanfa to come back to philly and Scarfo said yes as long as he doesn't cause problems.

After Scarfo got locked up i'm pretty sure Gotti got the ok from the commission to have Stanfa replace Scarfo and that was that...Stanfa was the new boss in philly.

Most of this is in Leonetti's book.

You have to remember it was Carlo Gambino himself who asked Angelo Bruno to make Stanfa. He did it as a favor to Stanfa's family back in sicily. Stanfa has been close to the Gambino's from day 1.

Boss of tha toilet!