Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
Carlo Gambino was never an American citizen. He came here illegally and successfully fought off attempts to deport him right up to the day he died. Supposedly ,a highly placed Government official received $25,000 a year for life in exchange for helping stay various deportation orders.

Lou i was talking about Giovanni "John" Gambino.

I'm not positive but i think Carlo Gambino was supposed to be deported right up to the day he died. But his heart would always act up and with his army of lawyers got delay after delay. But the courts never ruled that Carlo couldn't be deported.

In the case of John Gambino they ruled he couldn't be sent back to italy to serve the sentence because he did the time here. He pled guilty to being a heroin dealer here and it covered him from the 1970's up to when he pled guilty in 1993 or 94. So the courts ruled that the deal covered the time period that Gambino had an italian conviction for.

Of course his brother Rosario wasn't as fortunate. He was deported right after he finished his sentence here and then went directly to an italian prison to serve his sentence for a 1980's conviction in italy. But Rosario wasn't an american citizen so he was deported not extradited.