Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
I'm not positive but i think that 1970 robbery/conspiracy charge against Gambino was still pending when he died. Anyone know for sure?

Also there seems to be a debate if Gambino did time on one of those 1937 charges. Some say he was locked up and others claim he was released on appeal. Again does anyone know for certain if Gambino was locked up in 1937 and if he was for how long?

Something I found on the robbery case:
In its nearly 20-year investigation into Carlo Gambino the FBI was only able to build a single case against the mob boss, and on March 23, 1970 arrested the so-called "boss of bosses" for his alleged role in conspiring to rob $6 million from an armored truck. Of course, the case never was prosecuted. Manhattan federal judge Marvin Frankel took sympathy upon the aging gangster, and indefinitely stayed the case.

Carlo Gambino had been conveniently saved from justice by his bad heart on numerous occasions. The mob boss had been a target for deportation by the INS since the 1957 Apalachin Meeting, and his ticker always flared up right before he was due to appear before immigration hearings or court proceedings on the matter. On May 13, 1969 an FBI agent approached Gambino at a lower Manhattan eatery on Walker Street in the city's then textile manufacturing district as the mob boss was having breakfast -- a grapefruit, English Muffin and coffee -- and while counting out the 30 pills he had to take daily for his degenerate heart repeatedly said "I'm a sick, sick, very sick man."

The old coot finally died at the age of 74 on October 15, 1976 at his Long Island home.

As far as whether he actually served any of the 22 months he was sentenced to back in the 30's ,I'm in the same boat as you. For every article that says he went to jail,another article says he didn't.Hopefully someone can put this to bed once and for all.