See I actually think big Paul was similar to a lot of other NYC bosses in their 70s

Not many old bosses left their house , many not only screwed other girls in their bed but also screwed the wife's of other made members , lol . Also a lot of smart wise guys never went to wakes as it would violate their parole or bond . All dons talk shit about other dons or anyone for the matter in private and most mob bosses were greedy as hell . Paul was your typical long term old and powerful mob boss except he was more into legitimate business and labor racketeering / construction which was the right strategy at the time.

All of his supposed violations was just Gotti bull shit he used to try and turn other members against Paul .

Paul was in a tough spot, he knew he couldn't just whack Gotti and Ruggerio , he would have to whack Dellacroce too . If he only had to kill Gotti then he would of been dead a long time ago and Paul knew killing a legend like Dellacroce very likely could of led to a family civil war , so he hesitated and Gotti got to him first after Neal died .

Gotti was a true gangster , no doubt one of a kind but he was also one of the dumbest wise guys around and he was as bad a rule violator as there was ( way worse than Paul ) and his stupidity led to disaster for his family .

Paul strategy in construction and labor had a much longer and more positive effect for the Gambino family then anything John did as they are still making millions from construction And concrete . Wisely the current Gambino leaders have undone everything Gotti did . I actually think the family is still a powerhouse and are mis judged by many . They have a lot of guys on the street , have shunned Gottis ways and are much more low key today and have their hands in a lot of NYC construction , unions and drug jars . Also outside of Gravano, Skins and Scars , they haven't had that many rats given their size - double the size of most NYC families and probably 5 times bigger than philly or Chicago -

I also think the Luchesse are the clear #3 by a wide margin followed by the other 2 NYC families, then the Outfit and then NJ/ Philly .