Originally Posted By: dontomasso
In Florida all contingency fee contracts must also have a "Statement of Clients Rights" signed contemporaneously. This statement makes it clear that there are no set rates for contoingency fees, and they are negotiable. There is also a rule here that the contingency goes down on a siiding scale after the first million Personally I NEVER take full contingency fee cases. I always chard a flat retainer and a lower contingency fee on whatever fee exceeds the retainer.

Also people should know that hourly rates are going by the wayside. Anyone worth his salt knows what a case will cost. A good way to do this is to put in the contract that the case will be tried for a flat rate, and that the client may make reasonable requests for information. If the calls and e mails are excessive, on notification by the lawyer, the client has to pay $100 a call or e mail for repetritive or excessive hand holding. Also good to put in the flat fee is for the matter at hand only. If client brings up collateral issues there is an hourly charge. Many people hire lawyers to, say ,enforce a contract, and then once they paid the fee they thnk it is their right to call and ask about all kinds of things... their kid got busted for pot, they need to do a closing on a house, etc, and they dont get this is outside the scope of the representation.

Man you just succinctly and unintentionally defined "shitlaw" in two paragraphs. Hourly billing is not falling by the wayside for anyone but those seriously lacking in either skills, experience or demand. There isn't a reputable firm I know that doesnt do mostly hourly work. I guess there are and have always been exceptions for those doing garbage work like ch 7 deadbeat law, dui fuckups law or bad estate law.

Last edited by LittleNicky; 09/30/13 11:08 PM.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here