Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Can anyone tell me about this guy? I've been looking into him lately but haven't found too much. His Wikipedia page says a good amount but not as much as I'm looking for. Thank you.

His father was from Avellino, his mother from Teora, two cities in the Naples region. According to Gyp DeCarlo, Catena was made in around 1946 or 1947. Became a captain around 1951, split MorettiĀ“s old rackets with DeCarlo. Became Vito GenoveseĀ“s underboss in 1957. Catena made a ton of money, largely through fully legit companies but was once a prominent bootlegger, partners with Costello, Luciano, Zwillman, Lansky and others. His rapsheet includes robbery, hijacking, bribing a federal juror and suspicion of murder. Very big in the vending machine industry in northern NJ. Catena served an indifinite prison term, starting in 1970 for contempt of court when he refused to answer questions in front of a grand jury, released in 1975 due to illness if memory serves me. Although in semi retirement, Catena may have served as a special counselor at times to the Genovese bosses throughout the 1970s, but was definitely retired when Gigante took over the Family. Lived almost to be a hundred!

[Linked Image]