Originally Posted By: LCN1987
Ivy: Do you keep those Gambino quotes saved on your computer? I think you've used them a hundred times on this board smile

Yeah, they always come in handy when I encounter the many posters who have read a couple books on the mob and are under the impression the Gambinos were always top dog.

Originally Posted By: LittleMan
Not sure how powerful the Gambinos are today, but it's uncommon for a family gaining power under a shared leadership. Usually that means a lack of a strong individual ready to step into the head position.

The Gambinos are what they have always been - a strong #2. Well, except for the time they were #1A.

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
The Gambinos as well. I speculate that as of today the Gambinos have the strongest links to Canada, notably Ontario.

Why do you say that?

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
What happened in the late 1950s that suddenly made the Gambinos rivaling the Genoveses for the number one spot? Just because Carlo took over all of a sudden they became a force to be reckoned with? I think both families as rivals goes back to the days of D 'Aquila and Masseria. So if you have to choose a timeframe I'd say the 1920s to the early 1990s.

I think the Genovese was the most powerful from the earliest days up to the late 1950's, with the Gambinos being a strong #2. Around that time, you had Vito Genovese indicted and convicted, not just Carlo Gambino taking over. I don't think the Gambinos started to rival the Genovese overnight but one could argue the Gambinos began to rival them (being #1A) in the 1960's...through the 1970's and 1980's...and to the early 1990's.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.