Originally Posted By: LCN1987
For me, Don Carlo is the greatest boss ever for reasons already known. Shadowy, no jail time, rivaled the Genovese Family some say surpassed it at SOME point. He appointed Paul Castellano and maybe he thought that was better than appointing a hot head like Dellacroce (Dellacroce was feuding with the insane Galante!) I'm sure he had his reasons, and I'm sure Paul felt a little isolated and overwhelmed once Carlo was gone. He lacked real protection, but he couldn't cave in either and show he was weak.

As for the Gambinos ever surpassing the Genovese, I highly doubt that. Rivaled, perhaps, albeit not for long. Guys like Luciano, Costello and Genovese headed that family way back. All all-stars against the weaker Mangano, Anastasia but powerful Gambino...

Ivy: Do you keep those Gambino quotes saved on your computer? I think you've used them a hundred times on this board smile

I agree about Don Carlo, he lead the Gambino's for years, was real close to Angelo Bruno, was joined via their kids marriage to Tommy Lucchese and prior to the Italian civil rights league being launched he always got on with Joe Colombo.
He never did jail time or made headlines the way Gotti did.