Originally Posted By: ChiTown
In that same vein, prosecutor's offices and the FBI are notorious for exaggerating the effects of their efforts i.e. saying "The mob is finished" or "this is the blow that crippled the mob."

Family Secrets did nothing of the sort, yet look at the language in their press releases. DiFronzo and their top capo's were not even touched. Listen to Giuliani rant about his prosecutions in the 1980s that brought down the five families.

If you purely believe what the FBI says and claims then you probably would think the mob was killed off with the commission trials.

You need common sense to call a spade a spade and frankly, some people don't have it (or have an interest against it because they've been arguing the same position for years and have trouble saying "I was wrong.")

Actually Mitch Mars and Markus Funk went way out of their way to say that it in no way indicated the mob was dead.

I remember Mars saying (paraphrase) "The mob isn't going anywhere and neither are we."

Journalists are probably more guilty of overstating cases than anyone as it helps them sell papers, books etc.

I do remember Bob Cooley arguing his testimony crippled the mob, which it did, and the FBI agent who handled his case saying he deserved a lot more credit for essentially bringing down the mob in Chicago.

Of course he didn't completely bring it down but he did hurt it very, very badly.