Originally Posted By: Snakes
I don't know if I would say Genovese was bad. He was ruthless and cunning, surrounded himself with capable subordinates (Catena, Miranda, Lombardo) and groomed a future boss in Chin.

Perhaps he made some enemies along the way and was more than a little reckless, but that's part of what helped make the family the powerhouse of the New York mafia along with the Gambinos. When he went to prison the family was left in more than capable hands to the individuals mentioned above, setting the stage for the family's future secrecy and success at evading law enforcement that it still holds today.

You also have to take into account how they left their respective organizations. Gambino was a great boss but, just 10 years after he died, Gotti was running the show. Genovese left a better run organization behind when he died.

Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Obviously I was kidding about the gambino family vs genovese family thread dellacroce lol. And no you are going by your opinion ivy. How can you say that they were considered wealthier? How does that work? The Gambino's were considered wealthier and more powerful. Being "considered" and in reality are two different things though. And like it said you haven't seen their bank accounts. So you don't know. Nobody does except them.

I'm not going by my opinion. I'm going by what I've read from those that investigated the mob. It seems most have agreed the Genovese family has been the most affluent Mafia family over the years.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.