Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Idk. They are obviously at least the 2nd most powerful and 2nd richest family. They coupd very well be the richest and most powerful. But the Gambino's in their prime were a money making machine. In every book I read, every show I see, everything my father has said, the Gambinos were the richest and most powerful. But we don't know for sure because we don't know actual figures. Carlo gambino was a better boss than anyone the Genovese's ever had though.

The Genovese family has always been the richest and most powerful. The Gambinos rivaled them in many ways, especially during Carlo's reign, but they never surpassed them. The Gambinos simply got the press but the Genovese family was more quiet, more sophisticated, and well run.

I respectfully somewhat disagree. If you take a look at the bosses convicted and sentenced throughout history up until 1998, the Gambinos had only John Gotti and Anastasia (for contempt and later tax evasion) put behind bars. Luciano, Costello, Genovese, Catena, Tieri (if boss), Salerno (if boss) and Gigante were all Genovese bosses who were convicted and sent to prison. Overall I would say (if using this factor and this is an important one in my opinion) that the Gambino bosses were far more successful in avoiding being sent to prison. And the numbers of made guys in the two crime families (atleast during the time span mentioned) has always been to the Gambinos advantage. I guess other factors can come into play such as the total money made, but honestly, how would we know the exact numbers?

[Linked Image]