Back in the late 1950's and through the mid-60's in the NYC area, Zacherley reigned supreme. In the 60's, he also hosted a local TV dance show called Disc-O-Teen, which was shot in New Jersey and broadcast on WNJU, channel 47. My late friend, makeup artist Michael R. Thomas, met his wife-to-be at a Disc-O-Teen reunion; they had both been dancers on the show many years before.

But, in the '60s we also had a show on WNEW-TV channel 5 called Creature Features. For a while, the host was a staff announcer named Lew Steele, who appeared on camera as The Creep, a dignified gentleman sitting on a dimly-lit set and wearing a pair of dark sunglasses. I don't remember any skits or broad comedy or anything like that. He just introduced the films and made a few sarcastic remarks here and there.

I remember that in the later '60s, there was a horror film host in the Philadelphia area who was known as Doctor Shock. He looked for all the world like a portlier version of Zacherley. It appeared to be a pure rip-off, plain and simple. But, the actual explanation was more interesting. I heard this from Zacherley himself, back in 1993: In the '60s, Zach was approached by a Philly TV station (channel 17, I think) that wanted to lure him back there with the offer of reviving his horror film show. Since Zacherley didn't want to relocate or commute (he was also on FM radio here for many years), he agreed to license his character and have it played by someone else, provided they did not call the character Zacherley - and so Doctor Shock (or, Shockey Doc as he was also known) was born. Zach told me that he was friends with the fellow who played Doctor Shock, so there was no jealousy or animosity of any kind. Interesting story.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."