I think what Ivy said below is spot on. I think the Feds have finally got it - the object is not to try to eradicate organized crime, but keep some semblance of control on it; meaning, size, growth into other industries, etc. They simply don't have the manpower to try to eradicate something that as a concept will always exist. But the next best thing is to reduce the power and influence once wielded by these groups (like in the 50s-70s).

"Without knowing exactly what he meant by "comeback," as we've seen since 9/11, the feds have been able to keep the mob in check even with lower manpower devoted to organized crime. That seems to be the game plan, i.e. keep the mob under control with repeated indictments while general attrition slowly takes it's toll. Of course, more recently there have been concerns about FBI manpower getting too low and we'll have to see where that goes. After all, the feds taking their eye off the Bonannos allowed that family to regroup for a time. But that doesn't mean they ever came anywhere close to the power they had at their peak, which is what seems to be the insinuation when people talk about the mob making a comback."

Last edited by Jimmy_Two_Times; 08/29/13 08:07 AM.