Luck plays into any gangsters rise honestly. Look at Luciano, didn't he survive an attack that got him the nickname Lucky? Gotti was lucky Dellacroce kept him alive, Persico surviving the Gallo's attempt on his life, the list goes on and on. Not every boss rose to the top without luck.

As others have said Vito's location has helped him. Until the GTA gets on the ball with crime like the U.S. has he will ALWAYS be strong like he is. I seriously doubt anybody other than Raynald has the balls to try and clip him anymore and Dejardins doesn't have the soldiers Vito does.

Then I think his smarts have kept him alive as well. One is not respected like he is truly by fear, many like him because they ALL make a killing with him in power and he is not one to just pop folks for no reason.

To me regardless he goes down as one of the smartest gangsters around. He will not be challenged anymore unless he goes back behind bars which I doubt he does as the U.S. has NOTHING on him now unless he screws up or there is a rat which I don't see either with Canada's weak laws.