Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Ivy. You feel the way you feel and I feel the way I feel. That's it. I disagree with you and I think you are way off. If someone grows up with their parents their whole life and they feel they are what their parents are, how can you say "No you are not that" to them? I guess you have to be in that position to judge. I have a friend who was adopted and my cousins kid was adopted. Their parents have always told them they were italian and that their ancestors came from Italy. That's why they have such a strong sense of being italian. Just like everyone else in my family. Even though my friend is actually italian he has a strong pride in being specifically sicilian. His parents are sicilian. So he has deep pride in being sicilian even though he might not even be Sicilian. But his parents are and he loves his parents and his parents tell him they are sicilian specifically so he is too. My cousin's kid acts and talks just like everyone in the family. He has the same values and he says he's italian if you ever ask him what he is. It's a part of them. So is my cousin not "One of us"? Is he not considered my blood? Or my kin? And the disparaging remarks are not necessary my man. No need to get angry over a simple conversation.

I've already explained this and you just seem intent on thinking this is a matter of opinion when it isn't. As for you friend who was adopted, or your cousin's kid who was adopted, it totally depends on who their birth parents were. If their birth parents weren't Italian, they are NOT Italian. It's got nothing to do with how much they love their parents, how they act and talk, etc.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.