Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I think Neri lacked the ability to know when to hold back and when to attack, same as Michael. I think this would come back to bite him, and if he had a setback I don't know if the capo regimes would stay loyal to him. He would not be the worst choice for Don, but not the best either. Also what you do not raise is the fact that Neri was getting on in years and would have been a short term interim Don with no heir apparent. As I said elsewhere once Mary died and Michael stopped running things its my guess Neri retired.
Good point about age,but I was thinking more along the lines of Mike leaving at the end of GF II,when he and Neri were still relatively young. I wonder if Neri,on his own would have shown any discretionary abilities when it came to diplomacy. The only stuff we see him do is on Mike's orders,although ,according to the novel,Neri was pretty much a thug with a badge when left to his own devices. He may have surprised us and turned out to be the Gambino of the Corleones. Of course he could also have been the Gotti of the Corleones.Thanks for the reply,I always appreciate your perspective on topics.