we of course all know that it was roth who tried to have michael killed in his home, but as a viewer of the movie for the first time, does one know exactly when michael figures this out? does he know before his trip to miami, or does he go to miami and then to new york to see frankie to figure out which one of them set him up, and if so, what happens on this trip to make him realize who it was?
I know this has been discussed here many times but i watched part 2 again yesterday and I think that the only way for the rosato brothers trying to kill frankie makes sense is if you say that they never intended to actually kill him. because we find out later that it was roth who was behind that hit and frankie was only useful to roth if he was alive and had thought michael had double crossed him. the fact the cop comes in confuses this point. i feel like it was a mistake to have it in the movie. also people say that the line "michael corleone say hello" was adlibbed by danny aiello. according to my understanding however this is a crucial line. otherwise we would have no idea who it was supposed to be that looked like they ordered the hit.
please share your thoughts on this matter.