You could be right as the Gambinos were a powerhouse up until the 90s.

I think where the West side maybe out ranked the Gambinos was on the national union stage . They also seemed to have bigger traditional rackets in gambling and policy

The Gambinos had huge heroin operations though and ruled the garment center with the Luchesse .

Both controlled waste management in NYC and I'm talking total domination over every business in the entire city. It's still hard to fathom how these guys found a way to extort every single business in NYC ( JP Morgan, Chase , Goldman , the freaking NYSE all the way down to every little borgata ). The amount of $ Initially garbage must have brought into the Genovesse and Gambino familiar must have been staggering . My guess is $50-$70M a year. Not to mention the mob ran all the vending machine business in these buildings, god only knows what that brought it . Then the gas scam where the families were getting $7m a year for doing nothing , and this scam got 50x bigger once they took over the scam.

Picking one over the other is probably just nit picking , both had upwards of 500 members at their heights .