Originally Posted By: ovation32
If my understanding is correct, it seems as though DiFronzo genuinely has no role anymore in Outfit affairs. Clearly, he holds the clout to insert himself in what is going on if he wants based upon his power, wealth and history. My question is this: Do you guys think that the true Outfit players (those actually involved in illegal activity) pay DiFronzo any tribute at all? If not, then it seems as though the Cicero crew is really what we all understand as the Outfit. If this is the case, who is at the top of the Outfit. Which of those people mentioned (in prison or out) is the actual boss?

Unless law enforcement and/or a turncoat talked specifically on the issue, there's obviously no way we could know. But I wouldn't be surprised if DiFronzo doesn't take anything from anyone other than the close guy immediately around him. He's already got plenty of money anyway. So why take the risk of accepting tribute from the other crews?

And you hit on something I've mentioned before. Back in 2007, the FBI said the Outfit was being run in "northern and southern sections." In 2011, the FBI said the Outfit was "down to two or three crews." In hindsight, this all makes sense. The northern section is obviously DiFronzo's Elmwood Park crew - which is basically legit and quasi-legit now. The southern section appears to be the Melrose Park and South Side crews, which are more what many think of when it comes to the Chicago mob. Grand Avenue appears to be defunct. I think I recall Chicago saying what was left of it was absorbed by Elmwood Park.

Originally Posted By: jonnynonos
Mike Sarno was never a boss -- he is a frightening human being lol but is just a made guy who had a crew of associates working for him. He was never the Boss of Cicero, Chicago, or anything for that matter...These Outfit postings will get pretty interesting when DiFronzo is no longer around though.

If you mean official boss, no. But Sarno was the acting boss, just like Marcello was before him.

Originally Posted By: jonnynonos

Yeah, those guys have done a real bang up job.

The Outfit at one time was an extremely powerful organization, preposterously powerful, really. It may have been vile but it was undeniably powerful.

Today it's basically the equivalent of a bunch of fifth rate hubcap thieves.

While you're wise to see through ChiTown's rah rah propaganda, the Outfit is still considered a viable family. It's just one of the few remaining smaller families outside New York, i.e. more on par with New England or Philadelphia.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.