Originally Posted By: Chicago
Ivy, I was thinking the same thing as Little Nicky. However, I quickly surmised that the 750 figure is really 150 made guys, 600 associates, depending upon how they define associates in New York. That would be 4 to 1 which would make sense. in other words, out of the 750, 20% (150 are made) and 80% (600) are being included as Associates of some sort. That seems accurate based upon all of our discussions.

Membership estimates will always be more concrete. Unlike the widely ranging definitions of an associate, a guy is made or he is not. Approximately 200 total members has been the average membership figure for the Gambinos for quite some time now. And that figure has stayed relatively stable, probably because the NY families all have a set max number. Back in 2000, when Joe Isgro was busted for loansharking in California, there were 192 known Gambino members. And, as I said earlier, more recently the 200 figure was given by the feds in 2010 and 2011.

Now, that being said, if somebody wants to assume that the remaining 550 of that 750 figure in the article is associates, fine. Once again, I take all associate estimates with a grain of salt.

Originally Posted By: Skinny
I literally think they just guess at it. Being on the record technically is an associate. But when theres a bust, every guy who does business with any form of lcn is an associate. The difference to me is either ur a connected guy or ur not. the handicapper of a big book may be on the record, so may a few half sheets, but the rest arent really "associates" their more like criminal acquaintances.

Some obviously have, which has often led to the typical 10 associates for every member figure. But the FBI does tend to be more careful, and conservative, than other agencies. In other words, they have a stricter standard of who they consider to be a real associate. It's not every Tom, Dick, or Harry who comes within 20 yards of a wiseguy.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/25/13 10:27 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.