Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Admittedly, the Founding Fathers did not advocate same-sex marriage-it wasn't an issue in 1776. Being a product of their times, when they wrote "All men are created equal," they meant all land-owning white males. But the Founding Fathers did believe in the equality of all citizens. Alexander Hamilton wrote that “I desire above all things to see the equality of political rights exclusive of all hereditary distinction firmly established by a practical demonstration of its being consistent with the order and happiness of society.” Now that being a land-owning white male isn't necessary in order to enjoy all of the rights enshrined in the Constitution, the Founding Fathers' precepts apply to LGBT citizens as well.

It applies to LGBT citizens individually. Not that their relationships are in any way equal to that of same sex couples, or that they have a right to be recognized by society as married. Don't mistake the two.

I am not mistaking them, re-read my original comment and pay attention to the particular words I used cause you obviously didnt the first time around.

Its obvious in your "utopian" world we would be living in the 1950s (probably even in the 1800s) given your extremely socially conservative viewpoints on gay marriage, voting rights, religion,capital punishment, quite frankly some of the comments you have made over the yrs on these forums on race as well. Frankly, I dont recall you being a progressive on a single issue that comes to mind.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 06/25/13 07:35 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.