Originally Posted By: TonyG
Originally Posted By: elmwoodparker
Cerone was never Giancana's underboss. Giancana didn't like or trust Cerone. Accardo did not have the power to exile Giancana. Giancana voluntarily went to Mexico and other places outside the U.S. and made a lot of money. It was time for him to go because of all the heat. Accardo had no power to murder Giancana. It was the other way around. Giancana was the Boss of the Taylor St. Crew which was the largest and dominant Crew in the Outfit. Accardo was connected to Elmwood Park and was a Top Level Advisor who was semi-retired. Ricca was the top Advisor and kept the peace. Accardo never ordered any murders without Giancana and Ricca's say.

I am curious where you have heard that Giancana went to Mexico voluntarily. Was it in the book by his brother (I have not read it), or did his daughter say that somewhere? I have always understood that he was exiled by Accardo and Auippa, due to his high profile. Some claim that he was not sharing $$ as well.

Personally, I think Giancana's downfall had more to do with the deal made with the Kennedy's (agreeing with Joe Kennedy to help JFK get elected, only to be double crossed and pursued by Bobby and the Justice Dept). I also believe the interactions with the CIA and Robert Mahue to assassinate Castro had to play a role in Giancana leaving the country. My sense is that Accardo and the other leaders in the Outfit did not like the idea of dealing with the government (unless of course there was a quid pro quo style corruption agreement in place).

midwestmafia.com/014.htm

that link above has a story about when giancana got demoted