Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

I say it all comes down to each individual case. If both spouses want to work and raise a child, they should have that right and should make every effort to accommodate each others career aspirations while ensuring a proper upbringing for their kids (whether they decide to use a nanny or share the household duties, etc). If one spouse wants to be the stay at home parent, then thats fine as well. Each couple should be able to make their own choice.

This is it exactly.

Ditto. It's whatever works on an individual basis, and no one has the right to judge a happy home dynamic just because it's foreign to them.

In my own case, my Mom worked at a time when it was still frowned upon by some (my parents were married in the '50s). Now granted, we lived in a very old world neighborhood where there were actually some young women who frowned upon the woman's movement. But my mother would tell them to just mind their own business (or truth be told, sometimes she'd tell them to just fuck off grin ).

My wife worked right up until a few years ago. And that's not to imply that she doesn't still "work" today. She still runs the house, although the kids are mostly grown. And she handles the billing on four of our apartment buildings, which is a full time job in itself. Left to my own devices, I'd take all cash and work out of cigar box. The IRS would execute me if it wasn't for her.

Just one note on that article. It's not entirely without merit because every young parent (male and female) fantasizes at one time or another about taking off and living on an island somewhere. But it's almost always just that: a fantasy. Anyone who runs out on their kids, be it the mother or the father, is a piece of shit, and I don't care what their justification is.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.