Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Was there ever any point where the New Jersey mob families were as powerful as New York? Even though there are crews from the 5 families in jersey, do the crews in New York and New Jersey ever feel animosity towards each other or do they see each other as one family.

The origin of the NY Family´s NJ crews is extremely interesting (at least to me). It looks like members of a Newark Family, created by Joe Masseria around 1928 and disbanded by the Commission sometime in the early 1930s, were given new memberships with the NY Families. Most of them, because of close ties with the Genovese Family (Luciano Family at the time) became members of that Family. A faction led by Antonio Paterno ended up with the Gambino Family (led by Mangano at the time). Another faction led by Settimo "Sam" Accardi ended up with the Luccheses (led by Tommaso Gagliano at the time) and the Profacis absorbed a crew led by Salvatore Lombardino and the Cammaratas. Although powerful, I doubt that this Newark Family rivaled any of the New York ones in power. Neither did the second Family operating in North Jersey, the DeCavalcantes.

Off the top of my head, there was a rift (to say the least) between the Lucchese Family and its NJ crew in the late 1980s. This rift led to Accetturo turning state witness after the Lucchese bosses (Amuso and Casso) ordered killings on several leading members of Accetturo´s crew (Accetturo included).

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 05/20/13 07:05 AM. Reason: edited name of Palermo to Paterno

[Linked Image]