Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
I don't know the situation well as I don't live in Canada, but from all the discussions on different forums the picture may be like this:

Joe Di Maulo conspired with his brother-in-law Raynald Desjardins and the former Bonanno boss Salvatore Montagna to take over the Rizzuto clan. So they killed Nick and some of his underlings while Vito was in prison. Later, they had a conflict within their own group and Desjardins had Montagna killed with either Di Maulo's or the Bonanno's permission (maybe both of them). Once Vito got out, he had Di Maulo killed and now is on top again. He also took revenge on Desjardins who is now in prison by killing his right-hand man Gaetan Gosselin.

As for Desjardins, he has a position in the mafia because his sister is Joe Di Maulo's wife. He is also rumored to be a made member even though not Italian, even though I don't know how true it is.

If I got something wrong, please correct me.

Sounds about right! Although I doubt they got permission to take out Montagna...There had already been an attempt on Desjardin's life and he is definitely not made...So I'm assuming he thought it was Montagna and had to hit before he got hit...Desjardins must have wanted to be the boss and that's what started the rift or they just didn't want Montagna to be the boss and he was making a stink about it using his Bonnano position as reasoning...In the early 90's Police use to refer to those guys as the Rizzuto-Desjardins organization and most of Desjardins guy are French but then Desjardins went to jail and Rizzuto flourished...Desjardins was closer to Cotroni side as was Dimaulo but they were all paying up for year. Rizzuto SR must have wanted to wait for his son to get out and not give up any power thus the decision to take him out...Desjardins also had a beef with the Rizzutos because Arcadi approved a hit on a family member of his I think in 04-05.