Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I agree with JoeSchmo, Afs.

Now I'm not trying to offend you. I think you know me better than that. But I think that the treatment of women is still so horrifying in Iraq that you might be projecting some of that on American women. And to be honest, I'll bet there are plenty of women in your country who would trade in their burqa for a frying pan in a heartbeat.

Besides, the days of June Cleaver and Harriet Nelson are over in the United States. Yes, there's a long way to go in that women still don't make as much money as men as a rule, but it's not the '50s anymore either.

Iraq? Burka? Now I'm offended. lol I'm not projecting anything. It's like that still in America. I think you are mixing trends of a big city with that of small towns in the US. That's exactly where people are scared of these changes in gender roles. In fact when I came there, I was shocked. All I listed was what most women were doing, and husbands were almost irrelevant when it came to their children, except playing sports with them.

Just to be clear, I live in Iran. I'm not sure if burka is a thing in Iraq, but it isn't in Iran. Burka was a mandatory dress code for women in Afghanistan and is still in Saudi Arabia. You could see the type of hejab that's required for us with an easy google search for "Iranian hijab." Not sure what you mean with this trading burka with frying pan, but comparing the life of women in Alabama with that of Iran, I thought, heck, it was like that back in Iran, so why did I even move? Just to take off my scarf?

Iraq was an honest typo. I know you live in Iran. As far as the burqa-hijab mixup, I apologize, but I think you get my point. So I'll corrrect myself. The women in your country would trade in their hijab for a frying pan in a heartbeat.

But by posting "it's still like that in America," you're implying that we've made zero progress. It's also beyond ignorant to imply that the only differnce between Alabama and Iran is "taking off your scarf." If you could have stayed here, you would have. Any sane person would.

My main beef is that you're saying that we've made no progress, and I'm saying that we have. We've made a lot of progress, and it's not just in the big cities. You're propagating the southern-redneck stereotype in saying that we haven't.

Your problem is that you got to see very small part of America for a very short time period, and your envy of the freedoms of American women is very transparent. Don't get me wrong. I don't blame you. What sane oppressed woman wouldn't be envious?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.