Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Yeah, house chores are horrifying. Raising children which is dumped completely on women, is horrifying. I mean, what man in his right mind wants to feed and cloth the children, cook, do the laundry, pay the bills, take children to school, take them to doctors, nurse them through sickness, prepare their lunch boxes, help them with homework, clean up after them ... and the list goes on and on. The result of these gender roles are mothers that either love their children and resent their husband, or are totally ready to walk out on all of them.

Gender roles are simply the sexist way of taking advantage of women, or the sexist way of looking at men, thinking that they are unable to do house chores or raise children. I think they are up to the task. Some just don't want to do it and hide behind the gender roles.

Correction, that's how it used to be. Not so much anymore, more girls than ever are going to college, have professional jobs, and are surpassing men in many fields

I agree with JoeSchmo, Afs.

Now I'm not trying to offend you. I think you know me better than that. But I think that the treatment of women is still so horrifying in Iraq that you might be projecting some of that on American women. And to be honest, I'll bet there are plenty of women in your country who would trade in their burqa for a frying pan in a heartbeat.

Besides, the days of June Cleaver and Harriet Nelson are over in the United States. Yes, there's a long way to go in that women still don't make as much money as men as a rule, but it's not the '50s anymore either.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.