The EPIX channels on Dish Network have a channel, EPIX Drive-In, dedicated to crap horror and action movies from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. Next week they are running Scarytale Theater, hosted by The Amazing Savini, (Tom Savin) who looks like a cross between Mandrake and Lon Chaney…so basically great!

Growing up on the west coast, we had a short supply of horror hosts, but we were blessed with Bob Wilkins, the polka-loving, advertising director/host of Creature Features on KTVU (and KTXL). Bob played it straight, and his character was …Bob Wilkins. One of his better bits was reading the TV Guide listings for his competitors and telling viewers to switch over. His calm demeanor, genuine interest in his oddball guests, and ever-present cheap stogie made bad films great, so I’m looking forward to next week’s Scarytale Theater.

From what I understand, Horror Hosts on the east coast are like pizza and cheesesteak; you just can’t find them on the West Coast. Who are your favorites, and is there a thread about these guys in the OFF TOPIC part of the forum? I’d love to read it if it exists.

Steven Gomez is an indie writer in the best (or worst) pulp tradition.
Visit The Noir Factory to get the FREE Ebook "The Standing Eight"