Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Who is going to attack my house, the mexican drug cartel? panic

if you live on or near the southwest border, sadly thats certainly not out of the realm of possibilty, and you can be sure that the perps will not give a shit about the latest magazine restriction or backround check requirement! i don't know what the situation is like in iran with regards to home invasions, but they are far from uncommon here in the states. what you and many others here just can't seem to understand is that placing a law abiding citizen at a marked disadvantage because of the actions of a few random crazies is not only counterproductive, but morally wrong.

put yourself in the mind of a criminal. who would you rather pray on? someone who is likely to be under-armed or unarmed altogether, or someone who you know might have the capability to defend themselves in the most efficient means possible? would you rather commit a home invasion in ny or texas? would you rather attempt an assault/rape/robbery in a state where its almost impossible for a civilian to carry a concealed weapon, or a state where the grandma leaving the bank might very well be packing heat? the answer seems pretty clear to me! wink

another valid point often overlooked in the whole debate is this: with the constant erosion of the right to bear arms, the rights to self defense also fades, not just in a literal sense but in a socially and legally accepted sense. we have seen this first hand in the uk and australia where not only have the majority of guns been outlawed, but its basically against the law to use the few that remain for self defense. people have been prosecuted and imprisoned for defending themselves, that poor farmer tony martin comes to mind, but there are more than a few cases, look into it.

Your point about erosion of right to defend yourself in absence of guns is valid. Here, if you kill someone who is trying to rape you, or has invaded your house, it's considered murder. That's why I say it's a nice concept to have a right to defend yourself and not wait for the police. BUT, I'm talking about Iran, what isn't screwed up here? I would like to know if the same thing goes in the UK as well.

But as for home invasions in the US, you invade homes and then get what? Who keeps anything of value at their home? If someone breaks into a house is usually for rape. Drug cartel would have no interest to invade a house.

Again, I'm not in favor of abolishing the 2nd amendment, but I think gun ownership needs to be much more restricted and regulated.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones