Originally Posted By: fathersson
I myself will admitt that I also thought that the "big hoopla about the basketball player Jason Collins "coming out." was a bit much.
And there are those who will say that this is something "special" and I say BULLSHIT. He is no hero or Jackie Robinson. Maybe it is just the need to write something for the news space.

Thankfully you've exposed yourself honestly on an issue of freedom and justice so when we look back, we will remember.

I certainly will.

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
It's not anything special. People just need to leave it alone, you can support him not support him or whatever, I personally think its a good thing that Jason Collins came out, but the media really blew it up. It was inevitable though, stories like that are too irresistible to pass up

He was the first current player in any of the 4 major American pro sports leagues to come out. That's inevitably news. No shit.

Eventually we'll (as in society and future generations) will look back and wonder what the big deal was.

I'll argue something that I'm not sure Lilo will agree with: I'm actually more impressed with the gay rights achievements in the last few years than the Civil Rights movement in the 50s/60s. I say that only in that black American citizens got to fully practice their Constitutional right to vote and desegregation made a reality due to the Courts and Federal government stepping in when the southern states would rather lynch and such other evils. Thus giving those racist assholes the argument that "big government" overstepped "states rights."

But the Gay Rights movement, for the most part the states themselves have been legislatively passing the laws or referendums voted upon by the local population. Sure Congress passed DADT repeal despite the right-wing's heavy resistance to something over 3/4ths of Americans thought should be repealed. But otherwise its been the local/state level with the President of the United States leading from behind public opinion one step at a time forward. If Prop 8 came back to vote in Calfornia, that fucker will go down in flames like the 2012 New York Jets season.

But hey locals who hate freedom, you can always move to Iran. They still believe only heterosexuals can marry each other, under the punishment of death. Now that's old time family values!

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 05/03/13 04:58 PM.