Andrew Gigante is the perfect modern day example. Now granted, he's Chin's son. But Chin is dead going on 8 years now, and sentiment towards unmade sons in that life is generally very fleeting. After a year or so, no one gives a shit.

He never got straightened out because a) His father didn't want it for him, and b) he didn't want it for himself. And he's just as well respected today as he was the day his father died. That's very telling. He's a gentleman, a class act, and a very astute businessman. Why bother becoming a fucking wiseguy today? If he had taken his button ten or twenty years ago, with the last name Gigante, he'd probably be in fucking Marion today rolleyes.

Now his half brother, the Esposito kid, does have his button. But I suspect that's because being the "illigitimate one," it made him feel like he had to get closer to his father. That's what I'd always heard, anyway. He didn't have to feel that way, though. I understand that Chin loved all of his kids the same (although I doubt he'd be too happy with his daughter's book ohwell ).

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.