Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
PB, I understand that's a wishful thinking, but I was just pointing it out to Ivy that he was so sure this wouldn't happen, but suddenly he is feeling uneasy about this.

Fair enough, Afs smile.

Even if some demented liberal wants to make churches perform gay marriage, do you think there is any court in the US that grants such a thing?

Of course not. I just wouldn't put it past a demented liberal to try it lol.

But I could see them accepting gays quietly. They do accept divorces, don't they?

No, according to Church law it's still a sin to get a divorce. And if the Church doesn't grant you an annulment, you can never marry in a Catholic church again. And good luck with an annulment. Unless your name is Kennedy, it's next to impossible (more hypocrisy rolleyes).

From a Catholic website:

Can we get married in the Catholic Church if one of us is divorced?

No, unless the previous marriage is found to be not valid or the former spouse has died (Canon 1085).

The marriage covenant is sealed by God, and the Church does not have the authority to dissolve it (see Catechism #1639-1640); the Church bases this on the teaching of Jesus (see Mark 10:6-12).

A new marriage is permitted, however, if the proper Church authorities determine that the previous marriage was invalid from the beginning. A declaration that the previous marriage was invalid is called a declaration of nullity, or more commonly, an annulment. An annulment is not a type of divorce, because it does not dissolve the marriage bond; it merely confirms that the marriage bond was never properly contracted in the first place.

PB you'd be surprised. I have personal knowledge of two cases where people were married inthe Church, got cheated on early in the marriage and got quickie annulments for about $1,000, which was the going rate at the time (this was about fifteen and ten years ago respectively.

I also have personal knowledge from my own family of the following: My niece and her fiance wanted to marrry in the Church, but neother of them had been confiemed or gone to the Cana classes, which supposedly are mandatory. They found a willing priest, who IN ONE DAY taught them everything they needed to know about confirmation and marriage, confirmed them, and gave them a certificate of completion of the marriage course. Cost $1500.
Everyone has a price.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."