Good posts PB and Oli.

PB, don't be so sure. I do not think there will be any change on the issue of gay marriage in out lifetimes, or maybe not even in the next 200 years. Don't forget, however that the idea of a celibate priesthood did not always exist, and there is a good chance that it will not always exist. The church has sneaky ways of changing the rules without making it look like they changed anything. Look, for example to see the beginnings of an opening of sharing communion with the Anglican Church. Although Rome wont have it YET, the Anglican church allows any "baptized Christian" to take communion. It would be a small step for the Pope to allow Catholics to participate in this sacrament so long as it is sanctioned by a Church with an unbroken line of bishops going abck to Peter (which the C of E has). From there it is not as great a step as you think for the Catholics to recognize other sacraments in a sideways kind of way. For example if an ordained Anglican Minister who is married wants to become a priest, he can be ordained by Rome and stay married. I could easily see a gay couple in a similar situation wanting to convert, and have their marriage applied retroactively.

Oli your point is well taken, and as you and many people know it is common practice in most of the West to have two weddings... a civil wedding at city hall and then a church wedding.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."