Originally Posted By: olivant
It's important to understand that church marriage and state marriage are two different things.

I understand that just fine. It's the very reason why I don't have a problem with state sanctioned gay marriages. But if the government ever tried to force the Catholic Church (or any other religious institution for that matter) into performing gay marriages, then I would be up in arms. Even the most ardent lefties have to see this. You can't scream for the separation of Church and State when it suits you, then ask the State to intervene with Church policy. You just can't have it both ways.

Now in all fairness, I haven't seen such a request on this board---the people who debate religion and politics here are too smart for that. But I have seen it elsewhere. And someday some left wing putz is going to get himself a platform and ask the government to intervene in Church policy. And in my opinion, doing so would be the very definition of hypocrisy.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.