Originally Posted By: dontomasso
If you want to know how stupid the american people are, take note that the Czech Republic had to issue a statement asking Americans to stop bombarding them with complaints, with an explanation that they were not Chechnya.

This underscores the fact that fear and ignorance pose a greater danger to us than anything.

On a personal note I went on Mapquesst and found out that the second suspect was captured at an address that was .6 miles from my home in Watertown during my third year in law school. I was able to recognize some of the landmarks during news coverage, but the town has changed very much since my days there. Whem I was there, Watertown was known as having the largest percentage of Armenians than any American town or city. I don't know if this is still the case.

Finally, two legal points that have been addressed in the manhunt and apprehension of the suspect. Many have condemned thje house to house search and shut down as a deprivation of Fourth Amendment rights. However, the law is settled that warrantless searches are permitted upon consent, when the search results from "hot pursuit," or where it can be demonstrated that taking the time to effectuate a warrant bears a substantial risk of harm or danger to the public. The last of these conditions would likely apply here to justify the actions of the police.

If during any of these searches for the bomber an officer observes in plain view drugs or any evidence of illegal activity, the owner can be arrested. Now the purpose of the warrantless search was to find a person. Therefore the police search could not include looking in drawers,cabinets, toilet tanks, etc where a body could not be found.

Also, there has been discussion on the decision not to read Miranda warnings to the suspect. Miranda warnings do not have to be read where there is an imminent threat of public harm. Present interrogation of the suspect is likely going to be deemed outside the period of imminent danger, but that is not of any major concern for the interrogators. The remedy for failing to mirasndize a defendant is the exclusion of any statements secured without giving the warning. The US Attorneys' Office has no plans on using the statements as they feel that a conviction can occur, based upon physical evidence.

Even without the warning in place, the suspect can still state that he does not wish to answer questions, at which time the interrogation must cease.