Originally Posted By: ThePolakVet
I'll tell you why religion doesn't work nowdays, there are two reasons:
1) The times have changed drastically from the times when Christianity was started.

"The church which weds itself to the culture of the day will be a widow within each succeeding age." - Samuel Callan

Quote:
2) There's this shitload of idiots who don't understand the rules of the religion and manipulate them for their own gain.

That's certainly true. Too many members of any given religion often don't really understand it. Those like that in my church make me want to pull my hair out.

Quote:
For example sex before marriage. It's more or less there to have the children to have both parents and so their father doesn't bail out as without marriage he would have no responsibility or any relation towards the woman.

Though not the only reason, the religious desire for a couple being married before they have sex certainly does have those social components to it. And nobody, not even the most die hard liberal, can argue that children being born and raised with their parents being married (assuming it's a loving, stable marriage) isn't preferable to anything else. Even a blind man can see the damage the loosening of sexual mores in society, including pre-marital sex, has done.

Quote:
That's just one example. You obsessed people with religion do not really understand those regulations the church has made. You have just taken in mind the literal sentence that is written and memorized and praised it over and over again. Which is quite dumb.

Are you referring to a specific church or churches in general?

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.