Originally Posted By: klydon1
I should add that adults, wishing to become Roman Catholic, have to go through months of instruction, before they can be baptized or confirmed.

My father-in-law was Italian, but raised as a Presbyterian. As long as I had known him, he didn't go to church. When he was dying of cancer, he asked if I'd take him to mass at the Catholic Church, to which I belonged. He wanted to receive Communion, but bad Catholic that I am, I didn't stop him. He was worried that the priest would say something, but I told him that while the priest was a pretty bright guy, he can't tell a Protestant from a catholic just by looking at them.

After he died, a funeral mass was held for him at my brother-in-law's catholic church in his hometown. The priest there had known my father-in-law casually through my brother-in-law and also by the fact that my father-in-law operated a popular restaurant in town. father Rick scheduled the mass, thinking the deceased was just a non practicing Catholic. When he asked my brother-in-law after the service where my father-in-law last attended church, he was surprised that it was the local Presbyterian church. My BIL asked if this was a problem, the priest said, "Not really, but now I have to explain it to them and the bishop."

Thanks for the story. Nice of you to expand on this. I'm not really sure what branch of Christianity was the church I was going, it was called a "Church of God." Any idea what branch that could've been?

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones