Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Lilo
But when you write that they are pretending to believe in God, that's a statement of fact. You ought to be able to provide some evidence besides the fact that you disagree with them. As far as I know you're not Mrs. Obama or Mrs. Biden or anyone else privy to Pres/VP's innermost thoughts. So you're making an assertion, a somewhat offensive one, with absolutely nothing to back it up. This is one step above people saying Obama is the Antichrist. It's also in opposition to virtually everything in the New Testament where man is repeatedly told that it's God's role to judge, not his.

You need to improve your reading comprehension. I said nothing about whether either of them believe in God or that Obama is the Anti-Christ. I said their actions regarding certain issues, namely abortion and gay marriage, are not in keeping with Christianity. If you want to give them a pass because they have a (D) after their name, go ahead. But don't pretend that they're not in conflict here.

No that's not what you said. What you wrote was

Heck, even the secular liberal like Obama and Biden know they can't throw religion out the window. Why do you think they go to church and act like they really believe?

And then when challenged to produce hard evidence for your factual assertion that both men are pretending to believe you couldn't do so and starting ranting about their actions. In short you're begging the question here. It's a simple logical fallacy. You need to improve your writing style and refrain from making statements you can't back up. Opinion <> Fact. You make assumptions for which you have no evidence and get nasty when someone asks for proof. And on this board I don't believe I ever wrote who I voted for in any election but you'll continue to make assumptions, I am sure.

You know full well that Obama's current official position on gay marriage was timed just so. He, of course, had no problem with gay marriage all along. But he didn't feel comfortable coming out with it until after a certain point. It wasn't politically advantageous. So he bought time and claimed he was "evolving." Clinton played the same game beforehand. I know you see this. But, being the liberal partisan you've always been, you turn a blind eye to it. At least JoeSchmo acknowledges the obvious here.

Ivy, to which basic tenets of Christianity do you refer? Because after all there are dozens of different kinds of Christians, who fiercely disagree on matters large and small. As you know some Christians feel that Mormons aren't Christians. If someone made that as a statement of fact, would you accept it. No.

You know exactly which ones I'm referring to - abortion and gay marriage. No honest person, who understands Christianity and the Bible, can argue either is acceptable in Christianity. Since you feel Paul was only "dismissive" of homosexuality, you've shown your understanding to be lacking, to say the least.

Ha! From what I've seen so far your understanding of anything outside of your own worldview, let alone the Bible, is rather limited. Being opposed to abortion and gay marriage are simply not required to be Christian. If you say otherwise, you're making stuff up, just like you made up the claim that the President and Vice-President are pretending to believe. And as usual you can't refrain from insulting anyone who believes differently than you do. Abortion is not mentioned in the Bible. And even it it were once again, we do not live in a theocracy. And I don't know too many "liberal partisans" who are also pro-life. But when you're stuck in Manichean worldviews, everyone that does not walk in lockstep with you is evil, stupid, misguided or one of THEM, right?

There are Christians who are feminist and Christians who are traditionalist. There are Christians who fight to save the environment and Christians who joyfully slaughter elephants and strip-mine mountains. There are Christians who are pacifist and Christians who enjoy starting wars. There are pro-life Christians and pro-choice Christians. There are Christians who believe the Pope is the highest human authority on Earth and Christians who think he's just a man like anyone else. There are Christians who believe salvation is by grace alone and Christians who believe deeds and faith play a part. There are Christians who believe that imperialism and colonialism were good things and Christians who do not. There are Christians who focus on helping the poor and feeding the hungry and Christians who think Jesus was an Randian free market devotee. All of these groups overlap of course. Which of those groups are the "true" Christians?

In short once you get past a few basic creeds, there are a million and one ways to be a Christian. What you believe doesn't necessarily predict your politics. This is why it's important to have separation of religion and politics. Religion, or at least some religions, claim to have the inerrant Truth. Politics doesn't.

Another way to put it is, there are varying levels of understanding and adherence to Christianity. Christ isn't divided. The only reason we see so many denominations within Christianity (so called) is because of apostasy of His followers. All of them claim to be Christian, and many do have a basic belief in Christ, but they interject their own opinions, political beliefs, etc. As the risen Christ said, "They draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."

Nice to know that only you have the One True Christianity. I'll note that down for future reference...

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.