Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I'm fully aware many here don't give a damn about religion. I'm not attempting to change that. I'm just saying you have no business trying to marginalize religion in government and law making by misinterpreting what "separation of church and state" means.

And anyone who doesn't see that Obama and Biden's actions directly conflict with some of the basic tenants of Christianity is blind. There's no getting around that. Unfortunately, in Obama's case, he mirrors much of the black community in general. Their churches are rather conservative, teaching directly from the Bible, but they sell themselves to the Democratic party (which is all but antagonistic to religion) for a mess of pottage.

Here's the first amendment:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Therefore what you say that government has no business trying to marginalize religion in government is simply and clearly wrong. When such laws go contrary to the rights of people who do not believe in that specific religion, I believe according to the 1st amendment government should and must part with laws that marginalize people's rights.

As for what those in government have to do when things go against their beliefs, this is the most tricky part of the religion. You can't have two masters and serve them both faithfully. If someone is elected to the office in the US, I think they should put the constitution first, as they are not elected by just a certain religious members of the country. They have to represent all people, be they believers or nonbelievers. They can keep their beliefs to matters only concerning themselves.

That's the most optimistic I could be about religion. My personal beef with it, is that although the 1st amendment is kindly trying to respect the existence of different religions, the nature of religions are not accepting of other religions or even nonbelievers. Religions constantly order their followers to meddle in other people's lives. Just like you are trying to make us understand that marriage has to be the way you define it. You don't take "Okay, you can have your marriage, Adam and Steve can have their marriage as well." for an answer, because you are so much better than some gay folks, right? Oh, the vanity! rolleyes

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones