Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Ivy you've really gone to another level of arrogance here. No disrespect, but you're forgetting a majority of what people say on this subject is opinion. It's an extremely touchy subject, but you have to respect that many people don't give a damn about religion in any form or the bible or the commandments of God. Doesn't make them "evil" or a "secular liberal" it's just what they believe to be true. And just because it's not what YOU believe doesn't make them "blind".

I'm fully aware many here don't give a damn about religion. I'm not attempting to change that. I'm just saying you have no business trying to marginalize religion in government and law making by misinterpreting what "separation of church and state" means.

And anyone who doesn't see that Obama and Biden's actions directly conflict with some of the basic tenants of Christianity is blind. There's no getting around that. Unfortunately, in Obama's case, he mirrors much of the black community in general. Their churches are rather conservative, teaching directly from the Bible, but they sell themselves to the Democratic party (which is all but antagonistic to religion) for a mess of pottage.

I would agree that Obama and Biden don't mirror traditional Christianity, and I don't think for a second they take it seriously. What I see is they both use it for political purposes. BUT that doesn't mean because they support abortion and gay marriage makes them any less Christian even if they were true followers of the religion. Plenty of Christians believe that gay marriage is fine (although I would say a fair number I know are against abortion)

I don't argue that parts of the consitution and Declaration of Independence have "Judeo-Christian ethics" within their text. Many of the founding fathers were religious, but just as many if not more were athiest or deist. I say again our basic structure of law came from the Enlightenment and the basic blueprint was the British parliment and system of law, which at the time was the closest thing to a democracy on Earth. I also hold firm that religion should not interfere with politics or law making. It's dangerous and should be kept out of Congress and the White House. I personally don't agree with the "under God" line in our pledge of alleigance. God IMO has nothing to do with our nation or what goes on inside of it.

Last edited by 123JoeSchmo; 04/09/13 11:37 PM.

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone