Originally Posted By: Lilo
How can you possibly make an assertion that the President and Vice-President are pretending to believe in God? On what basis do you make that statement?

By their actions. You'd have to be willfully blind, in denial, or not understand some of the basic tenants of Christianity not to see it.

When people tell me Obama is a Muslim, I tell them he's no more a Muslim than he is a Christian. He a calculating politician who only pretends to be a Christian in this country because it's politically advantageous. He's for abortion. He's for gay marriage. He just allowed women to be in combat. All the same applies to Biden. He pays lip service to being a believing Catholic but his actions say differently. And, "By their fruits, ye shall know them."

You may agree with them politically, but don't even try to pass these guys off as believing Christians. Unfortunately, I have to say the same about Romney, which is a big reason why I didn't vote for him. The difference is, I expect that from secular leftists like Obama and Biden.

Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
I love the stupidity rampant in this thread, people demanding that their religious beliefs should become law (or stay law in DOMA's case) and be applied to everybody else as well. And nobody is aware of how shallow that line of thinking is.

I love how you guys keep pretending that non-religious arguments haven't already been made here.

What the hell is wrong with you people? THINK!

Textbook secular liberal accusation of those who disagree with them not "thinking" or "using reason?" Check.

Quote:
If you want to believe in whatever bullshit you want to believe despite what common sense, common decency, and American values of freedom and equality and Christian themes of love and community, then unfortunately that's your right to be stupid. But dear God, please don't make the rest of us suffer simply because you're weak little tummy is naeseous and easily butthurt.

I really wish you libs here would quit trying to use parts Christianity or the Bible in your arguments. It's long been apparent to me that none of you understand it, much less believe in it. Yes, Christianity is about love and community. But it's also about obeying the commandments. The spiritually immature pit love against obedience. Don't cherrypick a part of Christianity as a reason to legalize gay marriage.

This is 2013. Not 1983. Or 1973. Or 1993. Or even 2003. Get over it and quit the belly aching. Your descendents will appreciate it. If still butthurt, call a Wahmbulance.

If something is wrong, it really doesn't matter what year it is. And the only one whining here is you.

Funny I came across suspiciously similar opinions I found in Letters to the Editor in several East Tennessee newspapers in the 1950s and 60s regarding that whole civil rights issue. And that's white people pissy that blacks wanted to like vote and ride a bus and shit. HOW BLASPHEMOUS!

(The issue of slavery caused the schism within the Baptist Church in America, thus the Southern Baptists left so they could conveniently argue that God in his Bible supported slavery. Hey, don't hate them. They were raised to believe in it.)

Besides, your "belief" as a meter for logicity is quaint when you explore the global history of marriage. Nevermind the whole rationality behind your argument can be easily construed for hate by other parties. ("can"? I'm sure, have already.) You're better than this.

Textbook liberal accusation of those against gay marriage being hatemongers like the old racists? Check.

You're not an ape. You're a human being, the one biologically/psychologically advanced creature alive on Earth. An sentient animal with the compacity to overcome its cultural programming for the greater good of yourself and everybody else. Over 1000s of years, we've created values that have been shaped and evolved.

I know I'm not an ape. You and your fellow lefties are the ones who believe we came from apes.

And I love how you think we've been "programmed" but you're the independent, free-thinker. Ah, the arrogance of the secular liberal.

And back to slavery. It was once an accepted way of life and economical livelyhood. Notice Mr. Christ never bothered to hate on slavery that much. Yet in the 18th and 19th centuries in the West, popular movement was made to abolish it on humanistic, Christian appeals that it was...you know, fucking slavery. America ended it by a bloody, pointless war.

Unlike the time of Christ and when the Bible was written, nobody in our time is raised to believe that slavery is acceptable. (With exception of CPAC '13, apparently.) In this regard, we're actually more civilized than that time period in history. Think about it.

You act like you would even care if Christ did say something about slavery.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.