Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
I have heard Mormonism referred to as counterfeit Christianity. Religions are like life forms. They evolve and branch. If humans are apes, Mormons are Christians.

First, I object to your assumption that mankind stems from apes. But that's another topic.

Second, Mormons are not like Protestants, who actually did stem from Catholicism. It's why so many Protestants, and to a lesser extent Catholics, have often said they don't consider us Christian at all.

The statement below may be of interest. It was made by a Catholic scholar to a Mormon leader when he was visiting Utah many years ago.

"You Mormons are all ignoramuses. You don’t even know the strength of your own position. It is so strong that there is only one other position tenable in the whole Christian world, and that is the position of the Roman Catholic church. The issue is between Mormonism and Catholicism. If you are right, we are wrong. If we are right, you are wrong, and that’s all there is to it. These Protestant sects haven’t a leg to stand on; for if we are right, we cut them off long ago, as apostates; and if we are wrong, they are wrong with us, for they were a part of us and came out of us. If we have the apostolic succession from St. Peter, as we claim, there was no need of Joseph Smith and Mormonism; but if we have not that apostolic succession, then such a man as Joseph Smith was necessary, and Mormonism’s position is the only consistent one. It is either the perpetuation of the Gospel from ancient times or the restoration of the Gospel in latter days.”

No need to go after him. Fact is, I have a number of highly acclaimed books, studies/articles on Mormonism which have been lauded by individuals who are both religious and not. I think my description of Mormonism was pretty succinct. Your not exactly impartial on this issue Ivy.

You started the "going after" stuff. Again, I wasn't going after Catholicism (like you are Mormonism) but your adherence to it.

I'm not sure which books you have on Mormonism but, while your description of it was indeed succinct (which means brief or short) it was hardly accurate.

And I don't claim to be impartial here. But my membership and belief in the LDS church doesn't keep me from knowing the actual history of the church I belong to. I pretty much have to know it because there has always been so much falsehoods and half truths about us.

I also don't expect anyone to take my word for it and am certainly not trying to proselytize. I just expect people to have their facts straight if they're going to bring up my religion to make a point.

According to the narrative regarding the submarine, the people were guided by God through the wilderness, and were eventually directed to cross the sea in "barges". These vessels were sealed and watertight and able to be swamped by waves without sinking.Air was obtained from outside the vessels as needed.They also brought with them animals, and food for themselves and their animals.The recorded length of the trip was 344 days.

This is all correct. But nowhere do you see mention of what the barges were made of or exactly how they were constructed; which was your original point.

Quote:
Like anything else, one should do their own research into Mormonism and decide for themselves.

Agreed. But make sure your research is accurate. Your's apparently hasn't been.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.