Pat- How are immigrants supposed to learn a new language when tnhey have to work with two different jobs a day in order to maintain their family. With the little wages they earn they need to work more than the average American worker. They don't have time for recreation, much less to study a new language.
Do you know hard is for an adult to learn any language. I learned English with great facility because I started learning by watching American cartoons at age 4. But when trying to learn French last year, it was harder for me. You can't grasp a new idiom as easily in your adulthood.
You should try learning Spanish sometime, even if its broken. Or any idiom for that matter. Were you aware that if you knew more than 1 language you had a higher intellectual level and a wider cultural knowledge?

Don Sonny Corleone- Those Spanish bilboards are not only aimed for the Spanish-only sepaking populations. Billingual people are aimed to. Do you seriously think that all of the billingual Hispanics speak English in their homes with their families? Besides, most of those bilboards are either about Hispanic products and billboards by Univision and Telemundo.

I have now become aware that most of the American public is not fully knowleadagable of the struggles of the Hispanic immigrant. Many treat these people like shit when most of them are hard-workers that came here to give a better future to their families. Maybe that's because I watch Univision and Telemundo. You should all try sometime, even if you don't understand. Is fascinating how there's another world within the country.

Giorgio Luigi Gambino