I don't think it's mandatory to speak English in order to be able to vote in America. "Everything" here in Southern California has an English/Spanish version. I would assume however, that anyone, English speaker or not, would be wise enough to read the material, pros/cons, etc, before he/she casts a vote.

That being said however, I have always believed that if one intends to live as a citizen of another country, you don't need to give up your heritage/customs, ect, but learning the langauge is a must. Not only will it benefit in daily life, jobs, but will also prevent the "foreigner" from being scammed, because there are those who depend on the lack of understanding.

Sometimes too, I feel perhaps, (at least here), we make it too easy for someone NOT to learn the langauge, because everything is Spanish/English (i.e. classrooms, churches, most any business here has bi-lingual employees). I understand to a degree it is necessary, and don't know exactly where a "cut-off" would be, but much depends too on how much the person wants to learn the langague, in which case, if he/she doesn't, who would be to blame if blame is to be given?

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon