Interesting topic. Many times we tend to give credit to the singer and forget that lyrics had to be written for any song. Many can name songs/artists, but the songwriter doesn't always get the credit he deserves it seems.

Most of my favorites have been mentioned; Lennon/McCartney, Paul Simon being two of them.

Billy Joel, who I think, has written most of his songs, has such diversity in his music style, and is a genius at successfully showing several different sounds. For instance; "It's Still Rock & Roll To Me" has sort of a 50's type lyrics/sound; Uptown Girl reminds me of a Four Season's number, and Anthony's Song is just plain different in sound. Of course don't forget "We Didn't Start The Fire" which has yet another sound/feel to it. I may not care for every single song Joel has written but I do think he is an extremely talented performer/song writer.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon