corned beef is so easy to do at home that nobody has a right to complain that they won't have any for the big day! cry

the idiots guide to corned beef:

grab a simple corned beef brisket from wherever, as most of them are very similar in quality from my experience. don't trim any of the fat off. simply use a pot big enough to cover the corned beef with water. in addition to the pickling spice packet that usually comes with the brisket, add a rough chopped onion, a few stalks of chopped celery(the green leafy tops are great!), a few chopped carrots, a clove or 2 of smashed garlic, a small pinch of salt(go easy as they are already pretty salty), a few bay leaves, a few tsp of sugar, some whole peppercorns, and a splash of white vinegar(apple cider is okay, but i prefer white.)

i always start mine in cold water, and bring it up to a boil. reduce to a slow simmer, and cook for 3 1/2 to 5 hours, depending on size. start checking it at around the 3 hour mark. you can tell its getting close when you have to struggle to pick it up without it breaking, but experience is the only way to be sure! rest it for at least 30 minutes covered with foil before slicing it against the grain(the way the meat fibers lay). strain the remaining liquid, and boil up your potatos, cabbage or whatever other vegetable you like in it!

Last edited by Five_Felonies; 03/14/13 03:24 PM.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!