Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: klydon1
By the way, the title of the thread is a little off. The Pope will be known as Pope Francis. He will only be referred to as Francis the First after a subsequent pope adopts the name Francis II.

Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun there, Klyd. But in my defense, that's just what CNN flashed in their original headline. But I should have thought it through after almost twenty years of Catholic schooling blush.

And I'm very aware of the Jesuit thing, having gone to Fordham and all. And I, too, am surprised that this was the first Pope Francis. Francis of Assisi is one of the biggest icons in the Church. But that aside, the Franciscan Order is so influential that it's just hard to believe.

I was wondering whether he'd be "called" the "1st". I am surprised he is the first one to choose the name "Francis".

Btw does anyone know what name has been chosen the most? Pope John XXIII comes to mind. confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon