Hope you don't mind an older person's perspective. I know we've had favorite rock band topics before but good idea to branch out to the different genres and sounds.

I couldn't possibly list all of the greatest and/or most influencial bands/artists, because I know I'd leave so many out.

Among my personal favorite artists are: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Eagles. Personal favorite "songs" that to me are true classics: Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, You Can't Always Get What You Want, The Wall.

What's interesting is, that although before Rock & Roll, there was different kinds of music, I doubt that there is such a variety of sounds in any other gnere(i.e. punk, Heavy Metal, Grunge and many I never heard of I'm sure) that still fall under the "Rock" category.

In my day there was Motown & The California sound; The Righteous Brothers were known as "Blue Eyed Soul", all extremely popular with their own distinct "sound;" all different, yet all R & R.

What were Sinatra, Martin, Bennett called in their day, before R & R.,...just pop artist I think. Music has really branched out hasn't it? We've come a long way baby!!!!

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon