Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Here in NJ at least, we had a rotor on the antenna so we can turn it toward either NYC or Philly to pick up different stations.

We had that too, on good days we'd pick up signals from different tv markets.

Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

And remotes were not even heard of. uhwhat You had to get your ass up off the couch if you wanted to change the channel. lol
TIS

I remember my dad yelling at us because we would would spin that dial like it was a roulette wheel.

Oh yea, I remember. TV Dials???? Thing of the past.
On another note, if we had tv problems, I remember my dad taking the panel off the back of the tv. He's look at the tubes and if one was burned out he'd take it off and send us to the local appliance store to buy a replacement. lol Geez, now try figuring out the insides of a tv?? panic Yes, those were simpler days weren't they?

TIS

The young guys have no idea how it was back then before cable tv. You had ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS on the main dial and then depending where you lived a few more channels on UHF. And that UHF antenna was a real pain in the ass. After midnight there was rarely even anything on worth watching.

We got our first color tv in the late 1960's but before that it was strickly B&W for us. Me and my siblings used to fight over what we'd watch when we first got that RCA color tv, some brutal inter-family fights back then. mad

I remember those tubes very well too, my father would take them out and a few local stores had those tube testers back then where he'd check to see if they were dead or not.