Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Here in NJ at least, we had a rotor on the antenna so we can turn it toward either NYC or Philly to pick up different stations.

And that was the beginning of a New York wannabe.

My mother used to tell the story of when my parents first got tv. They had, literally, one of the first tv sets in the neighborhood. My dad actually built the set for one of his customers (a bar owner). The owner couldn't pay for the set so my dad took it back and kept it at home (this was before I was born but my sister and brother benefited from this). One night, my mother was doing her ironing and she had the tv on. It was around 11:00 at night and there was only one station broadcasting then (remember that this was around 1949 or so). My mom actually called up one of the tv stations and complained. She told them that her husband got a tv but there was nothing to watch (my mom lived for confrontations like that lol ). The station actually aired a movie right then and there for her!! (It was some Claude Rains movie but my mother didn't remember which movie it was in later years).